Samstag, 8. Juni 2024

Album of the Week: Mark Knopfler - One Deep River

 One Deep River - Mark Knopfler (Album) | RTL+

For the idea behind the album of the week, go here. (It is becoming more like the album of the month, but I'm defiantly carrying on  as best as I can. ;-))     

Every day on my way to work, I work by a few posters promoting all kinds of things: events, products, companies and, yes, new albums at times. And for the last few weeks, I've been walking past a poster promoting Mark Knopfler's latest record "One Deep River".

I personally can't say that I know a lot of his back catalogue. Of course, I've heard the random Dire Straits song here and there, but sincerly, I only got to know him because he played on a few Dylan records in the 80s ("Slow Train Coming" and "Infidels", most prominently).

So I went into this rather "blind" with only a very faint idea of what would await me. But it was, above all, the cover that intrigued me as I walked past it every day. And having listened to the record, I can say that this cover perfectly reflects the mood of the record.

Watching the arching Tyne Bridge in front of an evening sky, this album on the whole has a rather introvertive, reflective mood to it that is punctuated by that tasty, but deceptively subtle and very minimal guitar style and tone of Marc. This sound is very reminiscent of JJ Cale's Tusla Sound. The songs, full of loss, nostalgia and memory, have a very mellow feel to them and invite to linger with a drink in your hand to reminisce. If this were to be his final album, it wouldn't be out of place.

Standout tracks: the title track "One Deep River", the haunting "Sweeter than Rain" (which reminds me of late Johnny Cash), the ballad "Tunnel 13"



Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Dividend Update: September 24