Freitag, 21. Juni 2024

Kerry King - From Hell I Rise

undefined

Last week I was browsing through a metal forum and came across a thread discussing Kerry King's first solo work "From Hell I Rise". Having enjoyed (especially the early) Slayer records, I thought I'd give it a whirl.

Featuring Kerry King and Phil Demmel (from Machine Head) on guitar and Paul Bostaph on drums alongside Mark from Death Angel on vocals, the band is star-studded and the music - not suprising anyone - very much thrash metal in the vain of modern Slayer. The songs are mostly up-tempo, but to my ears it was songwriting rather by the numbers and failed for the most part to leave a lasting impression, ultimately never reaching the heights which the best songs of Slayer do. In fact, the songs that stood out most were the ones which deviated from the scheme and were either slower songs (in the vain of Slayer's "Seasons in the Abyss" or the legendary "South of Heaven") or almost punk-ish songs (similar to Slayer's "Divine Intervention). All things considered, I found the album a decent enough thrash metal album, but a tad too long, the songs a little to similar and by the end of it I grew a little tired of the shouting vocals.

Standout tracks: "Crucifixation, "Trophies of the Tyrant" & "Toxic"

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Dividend Update: September 24