August was the last month of my summer holidays and one I already know am looking back to with wistfulness as the new school year has started.
After returning from Germany, I did a couple of trips here in Ecuador before I went for a week to Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic. Below you find a couple of pictures of the Chimborazo, the highest mountain in Ecuador, and Papallactas, a very nice hotel with hot springs in the middle of the mountains. It was pure bliss being in that hot water while the fog fell from the fountains at night and it got colder.
Punta Cana itself was a mixed bag as we hadn't checked the climate before and it turns out that just as we got there, lots of algae were being driven by the current to the beach. So what should have been crystal clear waters looked rather like a somewhat muddy pond. There were other parts of the islands and on some smaller islands off the main island where the scenery was as you would expect it (looking like a photoshop picture: clear waters, sandy beaches with palm tress and coconuts), but of course we hadn't really planed to do those trips as often from the hotel where we were staying. But still, it was a good escape and nice to get to know the island. Still: lesson learned, next time best check before you go.
With regard to the stock market, I listened to a podcast which outlined the results of a study carried out by Bessembinder from the University of Arizona, which basically says that While the overall market-weighted average buy-and-hold return exceeded 30,000%, the medium stock returned -6.9% over its lifetime (!!) and that large parts of the wealth creation is in fact due to a tiny amount of stocks outperforming. All this reinforced my growing conviction that as I get older, I want to rely more on ETFs to not have so many eggs in individual stocks and get at least the market return.
I also crossed the dividend overshoot day and I have now collected more dividends in this year already than in the entire last year. This is very gratifying and I am curios to see where my total dividends for this year end up.
August itself was, as are February and November, always a weaker month and I "only" collected 656,68 from 20 stocks/funds after the fat months from April to July. Bigger months are coming so I'll take it on the chin.
For now, I'm afraid, it's back to the grindstone: parents' reunions; grading exams; preparing classes; answering e-mails; getting up at 5:45 PM; etc -- it's all those things I was quite happy to say goodbye to during the holidays. The next holidays are coming and until then one just has to grin and bear it as best as one can.
Below you find the complete lists of dividends I earned in August:
- IncomeShares Silver+ Yield Options ETP: 78,55 €
- British American Tobacco: 77,00 €
- Global X Euro STOXX 50 Covered Call UCITS: 70,47 €
- IncomeShares Gold+ Yield Options ETP: 63,74 €
- Hercules Capital: 51,24 €
- Main Street Capital: 43,64 €
- JPMorgan Nasdaq Equity Premium Income AC: 39,41 €
- Agree Realty: 37,14 €
- Realty Income: 35,35 €
- Omega Healthcare Invest.: 35,08 €
- Foresight Solar Fund: 19,85 €
- ASR Nederland: 18,90 €
- Starbucks: 17,65 €
- NNN REIT: 12,80 €
- AbbVie: 12,74 €
- Verizon: 9,94 €
- Texas Instruments: 9,40 €
- Sabra Health Care REIT: 8,76 €
- The City of London Investment Trust PLC: 8,48 €
- Kinder Morgan: 6,54 €
![]() |
| Sanoa Island near the main island (this is what we got on the good days) |
| Papallacta Hot Springs - delicious |
| The base camp of Chimborazo - the air was getting thin |

Kommentare
Kommentar veröffentlichen