Montag, 15. Mai 2023

Album of the week: Willie Nelson - I don't know a thing about love

To the idea behind the album of the week, go here. (It is becoming more like the album of the month, but I'm defiantly carrying on  as best as I can. ;-))     

After recently listening to Willie Nelson, YouTube kept recommending me to listen to more of him ... and who am I to disagree ;-)?

This week's album - just like the latest I listened to - is an album full of covers of songs by Harlan Howard, who helped Willie Nelson get his feet in the music business way back then. 

Quickly skimming the Wikipedia article about him, I came across this interesting quote as to his fascination with country music:

I was captured by the songs as much as the singer. They grabbed my heart. The reality of country music moved me. Even when I was a kid, I liked the sad songs… songs that talked about true life. I recognized this music as a simple plea. It beckoned me.

This, to me, is also the main fascination of country music though I have to say that the songs covered here on this album, while all pleasing to listen to, lack the gravitas of country's greatest singers like Hank Williams or Johnny Cash. 

Moreover, I came across this lovely line in the song which I found just utterly delightful: "If you don't like the peaches, walk on by the tree."

Standout tracks: The humorous title track "I don't know a thing about love" & the empathetic waltz "Life turned her that way"

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Dividend Update: April 24